EAP350 Freezes net, but connections remain

EAP900H, EAP600, EAP350, EAP300, EAP9550, etc.

EAP350 Freezes net, but connections remain

Postby tongasailor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Just installed the EAP350 and it generally works fine, but there have now been a number of times when the unit seems to lose network connectivity between specific devices, yet appears to maintain a wireless connection between them. It can be fixed every time, by turning off/on the wifi of the device that has has the problem, in this case always my MacBook Pro. The problem has appeared to be application-specific. Previously, it had been connecting to a network device over the Mac OSX Finder. Today, it was a Google Hangout that lost connection, but was remedied by turning off/on my MacBook's wifi. The issue does not appear to be a lost network connection by the EAP350, because all other devices connected to it remain in operation with no issues.

My MacBook shouldn't be the issue--it has never had any issue connecting and maintaining its connections and I continue to use it daily at mainly places.

UPDATE: I am seeing more dropped connections on other devices. Again, the device is connected, yet the net connection is dead. This is looking completely unusable. I am sad as the features on this device are great, but if it lacks net connectivity then its missing on the most basic.

UPDATE (2/15): Installed firmware 1.1.0 and it did not fix the problem. Still getting broken connections--all will be fine, but then randomly a wireless connection will no longer allow net traffic (can not even connect to the AP), but wireless remains connected. I tested different security modes (WPS2-PSK(TKIP+AES) and WP2-PSK(AES), with no improvement. HOWEVER, if I disable security, the problem disappears, so I suspect its something to do with how a connection retains its authorization, and maybe even its related to how Apple products handle it (haven't tried Windows or other OS).
Last edited by tongasailor on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tongasailor
#####
EAP350 (1.1.0)
tongasailor

Re: EAP350 Freezes net, but connections remain

Postby paradoxdata » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I am having the exact same issue, with 3 mac books, android & nokia phones, as well as an android tablet. Doesn't seem to matter how the device is configured either (encryption, no enc, N only, Mixed, etc) Either a single device will loose connectivity (sometimes requiring turning its radio on and off) or the access point simply crashes and reboots.

My older EAP9550 didn't have these kind of issues with the same devices
paradoxdata

Postby tongasailor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 pm

paradoxdata, I got firmware version 1.1 (up from 1.0.7), from support, which I installed last night. Haven't tested it enough yet to confirm the fix, but will post my results in the next day or so.
Tongasailor
#####
EAP350 (1.1.0)
tongasailor

Postby fain » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Same problem here and I run FW1.1
fain

Postby mprasad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 am

I installed mine last weak as a Repeater.

I also upgraded to 1.1 from 1.0.? and I am having the same issue.

I am sitting right next to the EAP350 and it goes from wifi full signal to 3G and then back to wifi full signal. Any thoguths or fixes?

Also having the same issue as other with a Macbook Pro.
mprasad

Postby fain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:34 am

I fixed my problem by restoring back to factory defaults and then re-entering my settings. It is amazing how much better it works now.
fain

Postby mprasad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 am

I did notice this morning that my "Samsung Galaxy S" has the same issue at home. I have a feeling that my issue is related to my phone, not the EAP350. Am I happy with the EAP350? Not really. I mounted it on the ceiling and my cubical is about 35' from the EAP350, with a line of sight and by the time I get to my cubical, I get between 1and 2 bars. I know I am connected to the EAP350 because my device shows up on the client list. I tried bringing the data rate down to 48Mbps and went slowly from 1km to 20km and it is the same issue. I will keep it because it is good enough for us but for something that is suppose to go through a 3 story building, I will not be recommending it. Low signal is not just on my phone but also the i-phones, i-pads, laptops, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I have used other Engenius access points at my last job and they work great. I will continue to use their products but not the EAP350.
mprasad

Postby fain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 am

I tried all those same things. The EAP350 was totally unreliable as far a speed, connectivity and signal strength. It is amazing the difference once I reset the unit back to factory defaults.
fain

Postby mprasad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 am

I will take it down from the ceiling and reset it back to factory. Did you have to upgrade the firmware again after resetting it?
mprasad

Postby fain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:14 am

no. I also reset it from the GUI. When you click the reset button there are two options: one to reboot and the other to reset factory. No need to take it down.

Remember the IP will default back to 192.168.1.1, in case you changed it.

Once reset, I tested my connectivity using the default settings to make sure it worked before I reinvented my custom setting.
fain

Next

Return to Datacom - Indoor unobtrusive (EAP series)